[Gllug] HP Smart array P400 (SAS)

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Feb 14 08:55:50 UTC 2007

Yashpal Nagar wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I came across a two HP DL580 G4 boxes with a smart array P400 controller
> (SAS) card. This array card does't get automagically detected with SUSE
> 9.0 during the installation.

There is another way to do things.
You don't need the card to be detected or configured at install time.
Install on an IDE drive for the first time,
then edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and add the cciss driver, and mkinitrd.

Once you have the card up and addressable, you can make partitions on it
and transfer your install over to it.
Some quick Lilo/Grub configuration and you should be able to boot off
it. (ie. put your bootloader of choice onto MBR of the RAID set on the
controller, not the IDE drive).

But don't choose SuSE 9.0 for a new install on bang up to date hardware
like this in the first place.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer