[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Feb 19 09:36:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Richard Jones wrote:

> Right, but the externality comes _directly_ from burning fossil fuels to
> fill up the atmosphere with unwanted cardon dioxide.  So why not just
> tax the fossil fuels?

We already tax the fossil fuels.

The problem is not that we don't tax enough but rather than we do not
provide a carrot to encourage more efficience and less poluting systems in
a reasonable way alongside the stick of high taxes.

While you can get some tax breaks for using the very best (and most
expensive) of the newer "green" cars we still have higher taxes on deisel
than petrol yet petrol is less efficient by a long way.

Let's be clear about one thing - taxes are not about changing behaviour
(they just don't work to do so) but rather about raising revenue.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98