[Gllug] Re: Bootable pen drives again

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Wed Feb 14 17:03:09 UTC 2007

On 01:00 Tue 13 Feb     , Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> Christopher Currie wrote:
> >On  Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:42:01 +0100 (CET)
> > salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> >

> >>You might want to check this out:
> >>
> >>http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mandriva-Flash-Available-41825.shtml
> >>
> >>"Mandriva Flash is a pre-installed Mandriva Linux distribution on a simple
> >>2GB USB flash drive."
> >>
> >>Gabriel.
> >>

> >Many thanks. Spot on. It looks impressive, but at 79 Euros it should be.
> >Though they charge 44 euros for the download version of Mandriva
> >Discovery, so the stick is not all that more.
> >
> >But ' take it everywhere and make any desktop your own!' seems a bit much,
> >given the problems with BIOS and USB booting that have been discussed here.
> >
> <snip>
>
> This is something I might be interested in but what I really want is a
> 2.0 Gb USB Flash Drive that has 802.11g wifi built in and have it come
> preloaded with Linux and includes drivers for the wifi card.

I don't think this amazing device is quite what you mean, but it's
interesting anyway:

By the way, I have 'fixed' several cheap no-name-brand USB flash drives
that would not boot, by reformatting them on a windows machine using
this:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/23839.html

Julian

> Andy