[Gllug] USB memory stick appears as two devices

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 18:59:48 UTC 2007

Pete Ryland wrote:
> On 23/01/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> So what's going on here? Anyone know why manufacturers are doing this?
>> Presumably there must be some sort of advantage to someone, but I can't
>> see it,
>
> I believe that this software works with the hardware to allow for
> password-protection of the data.  This is useful for companies who
> have employees that put confidential information on these usb sticks.

I've seen a few like this - they have a small partition that contains
some crappy Windows software which you have to run, and give a password
to. Only then will it allow you to mount the second, large partition.
I've never bothered looking closely at how secure this is, but I
wouldn't want to trust it against more than casual attackers.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk