[Gllug] Accessing MS SQL Server from linux

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 13:41:46 UTC 2007

They didn't write it - they "embraced and extended" Sybase, ie bought
out rights for the source.

Sybase (MSSQL should be considered a fork, the original software is
still being maintained), I vaguely remember, are offering a free version
of their database for personal use, and for commercial use I think the
price is on parity with MSSQL.

It's the same with FoxPro - it was an old product that MS bought out in
order to corner the low-end DB market.

I will agree though that MSSQL is a very fine database, but I won't give
the credit to MS since the engine internals weren't developed by them.
They do a good job of maintaining it, arguably better than Sybase do now
with their branch.

Alex

--

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 1200