[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:04:52 UTC 2007

On 18 Feb 2007, Mike Brodbelt said:
> My only big complaint about LVM is that the snapshot implementation
> absolutely sucks. I have to have a separate LV to snapshot onto, and

I concur. The one application I thought it might be useful for was
snapshotting every visible fs, mounting the snapshots, and then backing
them up: but, no, snapshotting / is unreliable, and snapshotting things
which udev might look at often fails nastily because the snapshotting
process creates the device (sending out the appropriate udev event),
then immediately tries to exclusive-open it again. A bit tough if, say,
/lib/udev/vol_id has kicked up in the meantime...

> seriously impressive though - we have a very expensive NetApp filer at
> work, and ZFS gives me practically everything the NetApp can offer, at a
> vastly lower entry cost.

ZFS is an amazing piece of work. I want a port to Linux, dammit :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names