[Gllug] so after the DNS - Attack

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 21:53:55 UTC 2007

On 7 Feb 2007, t. clarke outgrape:

> Even if one runs one's own DNS server I assume that within a short space of time
> it would have cached most of the top-level domain servers  (eg com, net, org, uk
> etc) and thus would be using the root servers very little.

It will touch the root servers occasionally, even for those zones, when
the records expire (which of course they do every so rarely).

But not a lot, agreed.

>                                                        It would also, I
> guess, have cached a whole lot more - without caching the whole DNS system
> would presumably get somewhat stretched !

It's been critical to DNS scalability, surely.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names