[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 01:31:53 UTC 2007

On Sun 18 Feb, John G Walker wrote:

> Except that most people, by definition, live where congestion is
> highest. It's the rich, with their greater access to private transport,
> that live way out in the countryside.

   I have many friends who are farm workers, etc, and are not rich, but do
need transport to get to a local village or their work, which could be
anywhere on a very large farm. Large parts of the countryside are only just
viable now, and any extra costs could force them to be abandoned and left to
waste. Many farm jobs have already been lost, forcing people to find other
employment wherever they can, when the nearest town may be some distance
away.

> > > In the case of the central London charging zone there are plenty of
> > > alternatives for getting to work, so penalising car travel is a
> > > viable strategy.
> >
> > It's not penalising car travel. It is making car users pay the full
> > costs of their travel (instead of it being paid by everybody). This is
> > one element of why it is a progressive form of taxation. To repeat:
> > the wealthy have far greater access to car travel than the poor. But
> > the poor still pay taxes to subsidise the rich car users.

   It does not only affect car travel, try carrying enough hand and power
tools plus consumables for a simple plumbing job without your own transport.

--
Chris Bell