[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 21:12:10 UTC 2007

On Tue 20 Feb, John Hearns wrote:

> I will give you a for instance - Lower Road in SE16 is always
> chock-a-block in the evening rush hour, with cars going south. There is
> a bus lane on the left. Talking away that bus lane would make no
> difference to congestion - there is a line of cars stretching from the
> Jamaica Road roundabout down to Greenwich. Taking away the bus lane
> would allow one more lane of stationary cars.

   That assumes that all traffic enters at one end and exits at the other,
with no intermediate junctions.

> And take a look at the famous M4 bus lane. It is indeed a bus lane, but
> its real purpose is an impedance match between the 3 lane section of the
> M4 beyond Heathrow and the 2 lane M4 elevated section. Stops 3 lanes of
> traffic piling up at the 2 lane elevated section.

   It just makes it pile up before the previous junction, the Hayes bypass,
and slows that exit.
   However I do agree that any bottleneck is worsened by traffic trying to
push in at the last possible point and slowing everyone else in the process.
One thing I noticed as approached some roadworks in Scotland, with one out
of two lanes blocked, was that traffic in both lanes held back, leaving
spaces alternately in both lanes, so that no vehicle jumped the queue and
the two lanes merged without any loss of speed.

--
Chris Bell