[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Feb 20 11:55:25 UTC 2007

John G Walker wrote:

> Clearly bus lanes also make a difference. But a moment's thought will
> tell you that the introduction of bus lanes will also cause congestion
> in the other lanes (same amount of traffic in a smaller space).

Not so. It is a matter of impedance matching (hey - we're veering closer
to topic here). If there is a hold-up or slow-up further down a route
then no matter how many lanes you have - ten, twenty, thirty then
traffic will still come to a grinding halt. All you create is a wider
car park.
I will give you a for instance - Lower Road in SE16 is always
chock-a-block in the evening rush hour, with cars going south. There is
a bus lane on the left. Talking away that bus lane would make no
difference to congestion - there is a line of cars stretching from the
Jamaica Road roundabout down to Greenwich. Taking away the bus lane
would allow one more lane of stationary cars.

And take a look at the famous M4 bus lane. It is indeed a bus lane, but
its real purpose is an impedance match between the 3 lane section of the
M4 beyond Heathrow and the 2 lane M4 elevated section. Stops 3 lanes of
traffic piling up at the 2 lane elevated section.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk