[Gllug] Vista

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 17:41:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 14:38 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:

> But computer specs have changed in 6 years so its probably got more
> memory and a faster processor hence the extra speed.
> We need to compare clean XP box with Clean Vista box with same specs
> not Old Dirty Xp with New Clean Vista one has to compare like with
> like.

Funnily enough we did just that yesterday.  Two identical Dell boxes -
one pre-installed with XP (bought just before the corporate release of
Vista), and the one that arrived last week infested with Vista.  They
are otherwise entirely identical.

The Vista one takes about 35 seconds from start to desktop.  The XP one
takes just under 20 seconds.  Shutdown has a similar difference.  Vista
IS (in my brief experience) visibly slower.

Chris