[Gllug] Connecting to WIFI - HELP NEEDED

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Tue Feb 13 15:00:13 UTC 2007

Ayodeji Audu wrote:
> I am running a Ubuntu 6.10 on a Dell Inspiron 640m.
>
> Could anyone walk me through connecting it to the wireless network at home.
>
> By the way am a newbie, who managed to install Linux on his laptop and get
> it on the LAN on the same router.
>
> Ayo

Hi Ayo,

You may find that this page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo helps you with
this. You'll need to find out things like what chipset your wireless
adapter uses. A quick Google indicates it may be an  "Intel PRO/Wireless
3945ABG" but of course that may not be the case for yours. lspci (as
indicated on the ubuntu help pages) will be your firend here.

In addition, this page http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html has
some links to guides written by other people who have installed Linux on
a similar laptop. The ones who installed Ubuntu are in Spanish and
French so not much help unless you can read those languages.

Hope this helps and welcome to wonderful world of GNU/Linux!
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk