[Gllug] mepis (now Ubuntu) wireless error

co at byintelligentdesign.co.uk co at byintelligentdesign.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 21:25:57 UTC 2007

I have synaptic on Ubuntu 6.06 (now on that). I only have internet
connection through XP. I will try that now. I tryed installing it on
Ubuntu and got similar messages:

root at co-desktop:~/ralink# ./install_rt61_rt73.sh
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package build-essential is not available, but is referred to by
another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been
obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package build-essential has no installation candidate
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
   linux-headers-2.6.15-26
   linux-headers-2.6.15-26 linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7759kB of archives.
After unpacking 79.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Err http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main
linux-headers-2.6.15-26 2.6.15-26.46
   Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Err http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main
linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386 2.6.15-26.46
   Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.15/linux-headers-2.6.15-26_2.6.15-26.46_i386.deb  Temporary failure resolving
'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.15/linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386_2.6.15-26.46_i386.deb  Temporary failure resolving
'security.ubuntu.com'
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?
Choose Ralink driver to install:

         1. RT61 - for PCI and PCMCIA cards
         2. RT73 - for USB dongles

         Choose 1 or 2 (q quits) 1

rt61-1.1.0-b1/
rt61-1.1.0-b1/BIG_FAT_WARNING
rt61-1.1.0-b1/FAQ
rt61-1.1.0-b1/LICENSE
rt61-1.1.0-b1/TESTING
rt61-1.1.0-b1/THANKS
rt61-1.1.0-b1/CHANGELOG
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt_config.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_main.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt2661.bin
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/wpa.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/load
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_type.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_tkip.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/assoc.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/eeprom.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/sanity.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/oid.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt2561s.bin
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/unload
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/iwpriv_usage.txt
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/Makefile
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt2561.bin
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_init.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/auth_rsp.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/README
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_data.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/wpa.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_info.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/sync.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/STA_iwpriv_ATE_usage.txt
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/mlme.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_def.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/mlme.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/Module.symvers
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rtmp_wep.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/md5.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt2661.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/md5.h
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/rt61sta.dat
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/connect.c
rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module/auth.c
./install_rt61_rt73.sh: line 158: make: command not found
root at co-desktop:~/ralink#

Thanks for you advice

---
---Build Essential is a package in Ubuntu which depends on all the base
build tools - a compiler etc. I don't know how mepis works (except that
it is based on ubuntu). Do you have synaptic to install new packages?

If you can't find it in Mepis you should be able to download it from
Ubuntu - but it's better to get it from mepis as it will all depend upon
the correct versions of libraries etc.

Package linux-headers is a package you need to compile kernel modules.
Again it should be in your repository - if not download from Ubuntu. The
version of linux-headers indicates that your version of mepis is based
off Ubuntu Dapper Darke (6.06). If you get the files from
packages.ubuntu.com make sure you stick to dapper.

Caroline
---
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk