[Gllug][OT]New Linux user here ^^

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 23 22:01:02 UTC 2007

On 23 Feb 2007, Kostas Georgiou told this:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 11:21:23PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>
>> I tested today, and, indeed, Debian dislikes it if an idiot^Wfamous
>> hacker and libertarian should choose to delete /lib/libcom_err.so* and
>> then reboot.
>>
>> Poor old ESR. He moves to Ubuntu so *publically* when it doesn't even
>> solve the (ridiculous, self-created) problem that he was so annoyed with
>> Fedora for...
>
> Last time I checked the thread he still haven't said how he managed to
> do something like this.

As I understand it, the dangerous hacker command `rm'.

(I remember I once rm'ed posh without checking what /bin/sh was linked to.
The system got a little annoyed at next reboot.)

> It's funny that he decided to reinstall instead of booting with a rescue CD
> to fix the problem

... which is the obvious fix (or use some other sort of emergency shell:
personally I use one linked into my kernel image. It's kind of hard to
delete *that* and still boot.)

> I wonder what he'll do if he hits something like this bug in Ubundu
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/klibc/+bug/61361

What an amusing bug. :)

I guess he'll have to switch to something robust and tested like VMS :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names