[Gllug] JOB: come and help run UKFSN

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Thu Feb 8 15:21:58 UTC 2007

Martyn Drake wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>> The job is a fairly simple sysadmin role based upon Linux servers running
>> the following:
>>
>> freeradius
>> bind and mydns
>> postfix
>> apache with perl, php and python
>> mysql
>>
>> The role is "customer facing" so you will need to be happy to respond to
>> support emails, etc and occassionally handle phone calls as well.

> Those were the days (wipes away happy tears).  We only had 400
> customers, but they were *happy* customers.  Now they've ditched all
> the in-house equipment, outsourced the broadband have and gone with
> Fasthosts for hosting - the swines!

I thought the UKFSN opportunity looked pretty good,but with increasing
commoditization of the hosting/ISP markets I wonder if these skills (in
the UK) will become a lost art.

Yesterday I was reading some blog posting about a couple of "dudes in a
dorm with $0" out to create the flickr.com or youtube business, but the
infrastructure is built entirely on Amazons S3 Web Services.

Regards

Paul lee
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk