[Gllug] Getting Debian Etch to run on an old (EPIA 800) Mini-ITX motherboard

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 15 23:48:58 UTC 2007

On 14 Feb 2007, John Winters stated:

> I'm looking for pointers about what might stop Debian Etch (kernel
> 2.6.18) from booting correctly on an old Mini-ITX motherboard.
>
> This system has been running Sarge very happily for quite a while, and
> still net-boots very happily with a 2.6.8 kernel and runs reliably.
> It also manages to complete the Etch installation process (again
> started from a net-boot - it has no floppy or CD drive) but once the
> Etch installation has completed the system then fails whilst trying to
> boot up the new installation.  It gets as far as "Waiting for /dev to
> be fully populated" and then re-boots.

This looks like the installation program is using a version of udev (or
similar /sys-walking tool) that is too old for the kernel it's running
against. I know I had panics when I managed to fail to populate /dev
with /dev/console and /dev/null while booting (obviously init fell
over shortly afterwards, and then instant panic).

If the install process has turned on reboot-on-panic, that would then
lead to a reboot.

(Total supposition: I've not *installed* Debian since hamm, I think:
cloned working systems lots of times, but not installed from scratch.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names