[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Feb 3 12:03:01 UTC 2007

When I started working at my school I carefully reviewed the ICT support
department's AUP on bringing in your own computer and connecting it to the
school network.  Although they clearly were thinking in terms of pupils
bringing in Windows laptops it didn't say anywhere that the computer had
to be a laptop, or that it had to run Windows, so I brought in a a spare
Linux box and put it next to my desk with a KVM switch to share the
monitor and keyboard of my then W98 school computer.

They were slightly surprised to see it, but accepted that I had conformed
to the specification and even opened a window in the firewall for me so
that I could ssh to home.

When they upgraded my computer to something fairly whizzy I asked whether
I could dual-boot Linux, expecting (and initially getting) an automatic
"no".  Much to my surprise this was later changed to a "yes".

It's amazing what you can get if you ask.

Cheers,
John