[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 21:52:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 21:03 +0000, John Winters wrote:

> To make that completely clear - if I do a bit of work for you, and the
> work is subject to all the usual tax charges (VAT, both slices of NI,
> and Income Tax at 23%) then for each pound which you hand over, the
> government gets 52/53p and I get 47/48p.  The reason we have so many
> different kinds of tax is to disguise quite what a large chunk the
> government is taking.

When you tot up all the taxes you pay one way or another, the figure is
way over the 53% you quote.  Even at 53%, it's obscene!  At only 53%
you're working well into June each year before you see anything for
yourself.

It'll soon be time to go - many people I know have decided to go too.
This country has no rapidly rising crime, collapsing infrastructure,
fundamentally corrupt government, and penurious taxation.  I'll take my
easily exported skills elsewhere.  I think I've more than paid for my
education by now!

REALLY disillusioned of Muswell Hill (just found the "Tony Blair" e-mail
in my in box folder)

Chris