[Gllug] Accessing MS SQL Server from linux

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 23 22:05:26 UTC 2007

On 23 Feb 2007, Thomi Richards told this:

>> I'm not MS bashing (this time) but what is the point in this? It sounds
>> like a poor attempt at transactions.
>>
>> Does MSSQL have transaction support?
>
> Sounds like caching to me... I can see why caching code might be a
> good thing to do...

Why does caching of SQL statements need a new magic `execute this
dammit' statement? Oracle and PostgreSQL handle it fine without
any such rubbish (well, Oracle's SQL*Plus has a horrid terminate-
commands-with-/-on-their-own-line thing, but that's just a frontend
idiosyncrasy).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names