[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Sun Feb 4 22:00:38 UTC 2007

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> I saw it happen twice today - entirely unprovoked, running only MS
> software.  "Word" fell over during a "save" and took XP down to a
> reboot, and then later "Windows Update" caused a hang and crash.  It's
> just NOT ready for the desktop!

/me blames the hardware

Compared to the instability of Windows 98, 2000 and XP are remarkably
stable; if not it's usually attributable to dodgy drivers IME.

It's the lack of a configurable multi-desktop solution that makes
Xorg/Linux more attractive to me; I still go back to Windows on the odd
occasion that someone has produced a website that fails to work
correctly with Firefox/Iceweasel/whatever your distro calls it now.

You can't argue with the basically good user experience of Windows, nor
the interoperability, but when you've tried something more controllable
it's difficult to go back. I can understand why it's totally intractable
to a n00b though, because of the lack of a standard interface, or
predictable UI.

Vista, on the other hand, seems to be utterly shit and slow, despite my
hardware vastly exceeding the published minimum requirements.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk