[Gllug] front panel light

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 15 21:03:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 08:04:32PM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:
> Julian Somers wrote:
> >I want to put LEDs on the front panels of some headless servers, that
> >indicate when the server is booting. It would light up when you power up
> >the box, and turn off once the box has reached the runlevel where user
> >can log into the web interface. If I had such a thing, I might be able
> >to stop people repeatedly turning on and off servers while they are
> >fscking their big disks once a month -- a common cause of death.
>
> This is what SSH was invented for, with the optional addition of people
> with some clue and/or a big sign warning of impending doom for anyone
> infringing the rules :)

Well, in his scenario the machine would be in single user mode so
ssh not available.  However I would say that it is what serial
console / lights out management is for.  Spend ages faffing about
with USB lights or buy real machines in first place; I know which I
would choose.  Sadly not helpful for those who have already bought.
:(

Cheers,
Andy