[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 25 21:59:53 UTC 2007

On 24 Feb 2007, Ryan Cartwright said:

> Nix wrote:
>>> I second that. I was reminded of the convenience of killing or ignoring
>>> a thread on usenet. But alas this is a mailing list.
>> Are we smug Gnus users allowed to point out the lack of any fundamental
>> difference when using decent software?
> not at all - that's one of the reasons why a) I was asking and b) I am on this list.

One of the (many) nice things about Gnus is that it reads news from one
or many `backends', which are just tiny (elisp) programs exporting a
defined interface. There are backends for NNTP newsgroups, mbox, mh,
maildir and other formats of mailbox (I use one called `nnml' which is
sort of like maildir only with a news-server style overview file to
speed up summary construction), for searches across mailboxes, for web
searches, for groups composed of other groups, for reading digests as if
they were newsgroups, for to-do lists, and for God only knows what else
but those are the ones I use :)

It's a very powerful idea, and it means I hardly ever have to leave
gnus for anything :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names