[Gllug] Be-There

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Feb 28 19:40:13 UTC 2007

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A friend of mine is looking at moving from Bulldog to "BE-There".  Has
> anyone used this?  Any good?  Why wouldn't everyone use it, if it's
> really very very fast and very very cheap?

Well, I suspect you've put your finger on it right there.  I know
nothing about BE-There but the thing about these services tends to be
that with the "cheap" attribute comes the "crap" attribute.

I had to set a friend up with broadband recently.  We hummed and hawed
between several "look-aren't-we-cheap" options or the known and trusted
(but slightly more expensive) ones.  I explained to her the pros and
cons, which she fully took on board and finally said, "I don't need any
bells and whistles - just a connection" and went for a big-name cheapy.
  We couldn't even get through the sign-up process and their customer
support (even before we'd managed to get signed up) was crappy beyond
belief.

We gave up and she signed up with UKFSN instead.  It costs a little
more, but at least Jason is capable of telling his arse from his elbow,
and you can actually get to communicate with someone who knows what
they're doing.

Perhaps somewhere there is a really cheap, really good supplier (it
might even be Be-There) but don't hold your breath.

John

(Other recommendations - my ADSL is supplied by Andrews and Arnold for
historical reasons.  A similar proposition to UKFSN - small and know
what they're talking about.  I'd also recommend Gradwell for other
hosting type services.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk