[Gllug] Re: linux on the Desktop

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Tue Feb 13 17:33:52 UTC 2007

On e: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:25:08 +0000 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> [Cc:ed to the author]

He'll presumably revise his piece to take account of your comments, as he has
with others'.

Butthe piece is the sort of thing that ordinary desktop users should have
their attention drawn to and don't.

> (I don't have any comments on the pager because I use fvwm's, which is
> two-dimensional.

I tried (following a link from Chris Spackman's piece) Virtual Dimension, a
FOSS multiple desktop utility for Windows.

It works well, except for the purpose I got it for: maneageably to edit two
copies at the same time of our wonderful content-management database
(editable with IE6 only, of course).

[Since, for example, to link from one page to another you have to navigate
away from the page you're working on, find the other page, select a
particular tab, add an 'inpoint', save it, copy the reference and turn it
into a URL,navigate back to the other page, click on an icon to bring up a
link window, insert URL.. and at every operation the screen redraws, needing
more scrolling...]

The database software occasionally brings up a pop-up window for certain
functions, and when that happens the second and any other copies of IE are
killed, whether I'm using Virtual Dimension or not.

If I then want to revive a second view of the database, I have to log in again
and re-navigate the data path.

Interestingly, that fenestracide doesn't happen with two separate IE6 windows
running in Wine, under KDE..... It must be a specifically Windows-related
bug.

Christopher Currie
--
Guns are not dangerous except when used for their intended purpose.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk