[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 23:03:42 UTC 2007

On 22 Feb 2007, David Damerell spake thusly:

> On Thursday, 22 Feb 2007, John Winters wrote:
>>The figures which this method produces are pleasantly close to the
>>alternative calculation where you take the entire tax revenue of a country
>>and see what fraction it is of the country's GDP.
>
> Except that 37.2% (source: OECD) is not at all close to 53%.

The Economist says 42%, still nowhere near 53%.

> Of course, when we look at taxation as a percentage of GDP, the UK's
> slightly below average for Europe,

Only very slightly these days. The tax burden *has* gone up under Brown,
while it's falling slightly in much of Europe. (But none of these are
exactly world-shattering trends.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names