[Gllug] so after the DNS - Attack

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Wed Feb 7 10:27:58 UTC 2007

> Even if all the root servers went down at once, it would be a day or so
> before really serious impact on J. Random Browser would be evident. Most
> queries don't need to recurse that high.

but they do; most people underestimate that
what if you read (in the newspaper) that yesterday the official
DNS-Network went down ....

you try to get Information on the Internet ...ups -> does not resolv
you try to send an email                   ...ups -> does not resolv

> By using... a frankly tiny set of geographically limited root servers?
> There are so few of them that they don't even seem to use anycasting
> (at least, that's what half a dozen geographically diverse traceroutes
> seem to say).
>
> There are twelve root servers in the ORSN network. There are at least
> 122 root servers serving root-servers.net (I'm not sure how to get a
> reliable count, this is derived by totting up the figures at
> http://www.root-servers.org/).
>
> Yet you suggest that 12 geographically-limited servers are somehow more
> DDoS-resistant than 122 geographically diverse servers.

 i just hope they don't do coz, if they do than it's to late

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk