[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Feb 1 12:46:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 12:02:25AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> As a general rule, it shouldn't even be possible for a user to reinstall
> the OS on a work machine. I suppose as a sysadmin, he would have had
> sufficient access to override any preventative measures in place to
> stop this, though...

A lot of this depends on the culture of the company.  Many Net start-up
outfits, for example, depend on their mainly geek staff to do their own
desktop support and the price of that is not caring what OS they run on
the boxes as long as it isn't pirated proprietary software.

Beyond that, I would be willing to bet that a very high percentage of
the people on this list started out with Linux by surreptitiously
installing it somewhere in the office, either on their workstation or
some reclaimed old kit that they stashed in a corner.  I know for a fact
that several people on this list escaped from the bottom rungs of the IT
ladder (or from a nearly-but-not-quite-IT job like Business Analyst)
because of the experience they gained doing just that.  Several of them
have since advertised jobs on this list, so practical self-interest, if
nothing else, should dissuade people from being too preachy on this
subject.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick