[OT] Teaching - was Re: [Gllug] Algorithm question

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Tue Feb 27 23:11:44 UTC 2007

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

> Matthew King wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I asked him about it. There was plenty of other stuff in this and other
>> subjects taught which was not on the syllabus.
>
> It must have been a very long time ago then.  It's been ages since the
> compulsory syllabus was small enough to allow "plenty of other stuff" to
> be taught as well.
>
>> Like most other teachers there, including the head[s], he was only
>> interested in league tables and forcing us onto them whether we wanted
>> it or not.
>
> Unfortunately, this way of working is in turn forced on the head and
> staff by short-sighted government directives.  It's very frustrating.

Coming on 10 years. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit but I suppose I did
go to a good school, much as I disliked it.

>> It's a shame that the decent teachers weren't teaching any of the
>> subjects I found interesting or useful.
>
> It's very unusual for someone to find the badly taught subjects the most
> interesting; normally it happens the other way around.  The good
> teachers are the ones who can engender an interest in their respective
> subjects.

I can attest to that. I was not really very interested in Chemistry but
the A-level teacher was particularly good. It's really the only thing I
regret about leaving school early, which is ironic because the maths
would actually be useful and the physics interesting.

IT is against their religion or something but would probably have been a
waste of time anyway.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely