[Gllug] Algorithm question

Roger Whittaker roger.whittaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:33:47 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> Your bastard of an idiot of a GCSE maths teacher probably didn't have
> any choice in the matter.  There is a lot of really irrelevant stuff in
> the GCSE maths syllabus, but I don't know of any current GCSE maths
> syllabus which includes matrices.  Unfortunately our hands are really
> tied - you have to teach the stuff which is on the syllabus, and there's
> so much irrelevant stuff on the syllabus there isn't time to teach any
> interesting-but-not-on-the-syllabus bits like we'd like to.
>
> <snip long rant about the stupidity of our current
> one-size-doesn't-fit-anybody approach to teaching maths, on the grounds
> that it would be a long rant>

In the "good old days" the SMP (School Mathematics Project) Maths
'O'-level syllabus taught geometry through vectors, transformations,
and matrices, with matrix algebra - good stuff, now all gone from
schools in the name of "relevance" as dictated by the new Gradgrinds
in the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority and such places.

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk