[Gllug] New Linux user here ^^

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 25 22:03:43 UTC 2007

On 25 Feb 2007, Martin A. Brooks verbalised:

> Tethys wrote:
>> Just curious... which bit of closed source software can achieve the
>> above in a more user friendly manner? I'm fairly sure Outlook can't
>> do it *at all*, let alone in a way that's easy for the user to describe.
>
> No idea.  I don't know if Outlook does this or not, but _if_ it does,
> you can bet that the process is something like: Right-click on email,
> click on Message Filtering Options, select the "Discard all messages
> relating to this one" box.  Accept the warning that future messages
> will moved automatically to Trash.  Click okay.

Why is that similar to a procmail rule that gates a mailing list (with
suitably munged headers) to a newsgroup?

> This is because Microsoft, if nothing else, know how to write interfaces.

... that don't do what you want them to do? ;)

(The bit I find icky there is the use of inews(1), a command from INN
*1.7* which is now grossly outdated... anyone got a replacement?)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names