[Gllug] Apache access to root-owned files

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Thu Jan 25 15:14:12 UTC 2007

I'm in the process of writing a Python CGI script which allows the IP
address of a headless Linux box to be changed using a form on a web
page. The script works fine although it's currently only writing to an
ifcfg-eth0 file which is owned by apache.

Obviously when finished, the script needs to be able to write to the
root-owned /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.

The question is, what's the best (i.e. least insecure) way to do this?
I'll use .htaccess to make sure authenticated users only have access to
the CGI page, but obviously I'm concerned about the fact that something
may have to run as root temporarily in order to write the file.

TIA, Chris.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk