[Gllug] mepis wireless + other issues

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Jan 14 02:00:45 UTC 2007

co at byintelligentdesign.co.uk writes:

>Also I have other hardware like an ATI Radeon X550. Will this be
>compatible. I have noticed some of the 3d screen savers don't work
>very well. This could be due to the graphics card not being installed
>properly.

Is it compatible? Yes and no. Yes, because it's supported and will
work fine for 2D output. No, because ATI refuse to release programming
information, so the free software community are unable to easily
write a driver for it. Despite that, the community has reversed
engineered support for your card, using the r300_dri driver, so 3D
should work for you as well. This is present on my system as part
of the mesa-libGL package. Your distribution may do things slightly
differently. As a really simple way of checking whether your 3D
support is working properly, type:

	glxinfo | grep 'direct rendering'

and pretend "direct rendering" means "3D support".

Alternatively, you could use ATI's closed source driver for the card.
This will, however, taint your kernel, and make it unsupportable by
the free software community. See the recent thread entitled "TFT Monitors"
for some irrational debate on the subject :-)

Tet