[Gllug] Still unable to boot using grub on Mbr

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 17:24:53 UTC 2007

I've spent over two weeks trying to solve this problem.
Yesterday, I concluded the problem was with my Maxtor
Hard Drive so I spent hours running the PowerMax software -
however,it gave the drive a clean bill of health.

Can anyone tell me if I'm falling foul of trying to boot
from outside a cylinder limited (googling has confused me
as to what the limit now is.
The drive has 238,216 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors/tracks.
A cylinder is described as 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes.
Hda1  (Wn2000) is 1       -  38752
Hda2  (Debian) is 38753   -  79442
Hda3  (Ubuntu) is 79449   - 118193   *
Hda5  (Swap)   is 118193  - 120137

	* Parted in Ubuntu seems to have 'cocked up' the
	  partition I created in Linux fdisk, and has left
	  3.3 Mb it describes as 'unusable' between Hda2
	  and Hda3.

When Ubuntu put Grub on the Mbr nothing happens on boot, and
I cannot reach or boot it even from a Grub prompt. When Debian,
earlier, had installed Grub on the Mbr, it also wouldn't boot,
but I could and still can boot it from a Grub prompt.

Any help, please.

John.