[Gllug] VNC viewer with a dropdown list of servers

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 01:40:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:01:02PM +0000, N.Pauli wrote:
> Thanks for all those suggestions. I've realised that xvnc4viewer can be incorporated into a shell script - much along the lines that Budgester was talking of. In fact I'll have a look at his suggestion first.
>
> Being a school we have NetOp - which is good - but I was very impressed with how quick I could launch multiple instances of Xvnc4viewer and the quality with which they ran.

When packet loss or latency are high, or bandwidth is low, VNC can be
quite poor and in many cases practically unusable. Over a LAN though, as
you say, the usability is fine.

If you're going to run it over untrusted networks, I'd advise an SSH
tunnel or something similar - ssh's compression can be useful here as
well, if your VNC client/server doesn't support decent compression (I
noticed some interesting looking options in the permanently-beta version
of TightVNC for Windows)