[Gllug] Linux magazine

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 22:50:28 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 21:59, Diana Scott wrote:
> Which Linux magazine would you consider to be informative and best value of
> money for linux regular users?

All depends on your personal taste.
In the UK you can usually get hold of the first four. The fifth I order in.
The sixth is now available from http://www.lulu.com/fsm
Tux has just stopped publishing after twenty issues.

Linux Journal http://www2.linuxjournal.com/
Linux User & Developer http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
Linux Format http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/
Linux Magazine http://www.linux-magazine.co.uk/
Linux Magazine USA http://www.linux-mag.com/
Free Software Magazine http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/
Tux (ezine just finished) http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

Each is slightly different and tries to carve out a distinct market.
Just for the record - I was the editor of Linux Magazine (Hangs head in
shame ;-)  and yes all those errors were solely my fault. )

I buy Journal, because I happen to like the Marcel Gagne's articles.
I buy User because it has a nice business coverage.
I buy Format because it has a few good tutorials
I buy Magazine because I always have and I know some of the authors
I buy Mag because while very thin, it has some useful tutorials
I support FSM because we should
I got Tux because I love fruit (in-joke for those who read it).

This is by far from a complete list. Magazines such as Sysadmin, 2600 and
PCQuest (India) have good coverage for me. It all depends on what you
personally want. Even PCWorld has had long term Linux coverage.

There were some back issues at the last installfest. Pick up some and see
which you like. I noticed Borders had three issues of User bundled together
today for about £6-7. That would give you a good flavour of that one.

Journal, Magazine, Mag, FSM and Tux have back issues available online.

Regards
John