[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Mon Jan 29 15:18:49 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Rich Walker wrote:
>
>> At a guess, I'm assuming you want to tie your online customer account
>> management in to the ledger; the problem SQL-Ledger has is that it's
>> relatively difficult to do this 'cos there's no sensible API, and
>> that's one of the things LedgerSMB is intended to address.
>
> That's part of what I need however I have that from a simple speadsheet.
> What I don't have from that is a simple package that produces accounting
> reports such as Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss statement, detailed
> breakdown of sales, tax reports, VAT reports, payroll handling with up to
> date information, etc.

Quite a lot of that I get done like that, tho' it *doesn't* do payroll.

> No Free Software offering currently available (without a LOT of
> customising) offers these or are likely to be suitable for handing mostly
> completes accounts over to an accountant.

Umm; that's pretty much what I do every year: print off the major ledger
accounts, print off the reports, send to accountant.

The reporting in SQL-Ledger/LedgerSMB is present, and does exist, though
it doesn't do everything, that's true.

> All of these things are not only useful to a small business - they are
> vital.
>
>> Possibly this is something to sponsor a student to do?
>
> A student wont be able to meet my requirements for this. It's not a short
> term project.

But adding one-or-more features to an existing package?

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk