[Gllug] SATA - new drives and old BIOSes not compatible?

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Wed Jan 17 13:14:04 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> the morons that designed SATA didn't think to specify that a disk
> should drop to the lower speed automatically if the controller can't
> handle the higher speed.

Yeah that does seem like quite an oversight. My personal gripe is that
they also didn't specify some kind of clip to hold the connector in. One
of my company's main problems is shipping kit to customers then finding
that the cables have come loose. You'd think that when redesigning such
a ubiquitous interface for the first time in nearly 20 years they'd
consider these things! <sigh>

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk