[Gllug] Energy consumption puzzlement

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 09:41:05 UTC 2007

On Thu 18 Jan, M.Blackmore wrote:

> If it isn't worth scrapping an average European motor car of its era for
> 25 yrs for a less fuel consuming one, how long does it take to nullify
> the embedded total environmental costs of using up old computer kit
> until it actually irretrievably expires?

   Older equipment may have different efficiencies as a percentage of total
power use, but a much lower average power consumption overall. I have not
seen many 486 machines with a huge cooler sitting over the processor. The
computer that I use most here is my Acorn, still going fine after probably
about 15 years. Why should I add my old boxes to the landfill just so that I
can buy more hazardus goods?
   I have heard it said that the fuel cost of manufacturing a car is in the
same ball park as the cost of running it for its full lifetime, so junking a
car early to buy new is like throwing away a considerable investment. The
partial solution of replacing a worn-out engine with a more modern and
efficient power source does not appear possible in most cases, and does not
have the same eye-catching appeal of a nice new tin box.

--
Chris Bell