[Gllug] Mounting removable media

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 11:34:14 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> So why don't you just use mount?

Ahhh... but what do you mount?

> > [1] Since when did filesystem management become tied to the desktop,
> >     anyway? Morons.
>
> Only since you declined to use mount/umount to manage such things as I'll
> bet you used to.

Not so. In the past, I used to stick a CF card into the reader, a
mount point would be created under /media by some combination of udev
and hotplug IIRC, and an entry would be added to fstab linking the
mount point to the correct block device. I'd then just say "mount
/media/SD CARD", and the world would be a happy place.

Sadly, in recent Fedora releases at least, the mount point is no
longer created automatically, and nothing is added to /etc/fstab. The
preferred solution seems to be to use some combination of
gnome-volume-manager, gnome-mount, hald, dbus and who knows what else?
So all I'm trying to do is get back to a point where I can easily
mount removable media. Ideally, I'd be able to do it solely via udev,
and indeed the udev FAQ even shows a crude way of doing it by volume
label. But that requires knowing the volume label in advance. I'd like
to have it sufficiently generic that I can plug in *any* card and have
ti do the right thing. Even the udev FAQ tells me I should be using
HAL :-(

I'm quite happy for those using the default desktop to have a nice
integrated way of doing it that Just Works(tm). But I have a violent
dislike for the way that the non-desktop parts of the operation have
be arbitrarily tied to the desktop due to either laziness or
incompetence on the part of the programmer.

What do the KDE folks do? I'm betting they don't use gnome-volume-manager...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk