[Gllug] [petition] Publically funded free software

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 22 19:03:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 14:56 +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > Software written using public funds should have it's source code published
> > under a distribution licence that has been declared Free by the Free
> > Software Foundation, rather than remaining a closed secret.
>
> I'd have said that the OSI is more likely to be accepted as a guiding
> organisation than the FSF.

That's probably right, but for the purposes of raising the issue, it
doesn't matter too much, I suspect.

> > Furthermore, compatibility with other Free licences (such as the GPL)
>
> Sigh. I've seen several of these petitions recently, and while I'm
> generally supportive of their goals, I can't help but think that a
> little more time spent proofreading them might have gone a long way
> towards making them more likely to succeed. In this instance, the
> correct name of the license is the GNU GPL. Omitting the "GNU" just
> shows that the author of the petition hasn't checked their facts, and
> thus IMHO it tarnishes the whole petition.

I don't see your point here, plugging "GPL" into google reveals the
license as the first result, and more importantly reveals that the
licence text ITSELF abbreviates its name to GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org