[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jan 21 16:16:33 UTC 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, Peter Ball spake thusly:

> On 18 Jan 2007 at 1:52, James Roberts wrote:
>
>> Nix wrote:
>>
>> > I'm waiting for them to tell me `the eating of human flesh within the
>> > station concourse can be dangerous and is illegal'.
>>
>> I'm probably going to regret this question but I just gotta ask: I can
>> see why eating 'long pig' is illegal (depending I suppose on the
>> jurisdiction) and indeed arguably immoral (and I'm a veggie) - but why
>> should it be dangerous?

Because *all* the parasites which attack the food you're eating will
also be happy to attack you in the case where you're eating a member of
your own species, so cooking becomes utterly critical and if you get it
wrong the results can be very naty. (Also it was dangerous to the person
you ate. ;) )

> It's very simple each step you go up the food chain toxins are
> concentrated by a factor of 10 so eating carnivores is 10 times as
> dangerous as eating vegetarians, which in itself is 10 times as
> dangerous as eating vegetables.

I'd be fascinated if you could identify these `toxins'. My suspicion is
that they don't exist. If what you said was true, carnivores would never
have evolved. They did, and don't do badly. QED.

(Obviously most animals are non-carnivorous, simply from energetic
considerations: only 1/10th of available energy gets one step up the
chain, approximately. But asuming this to be a moral thing is pure
naturalistic fallacy: if being a carnivore was so much worse than being
a herbivore, then we should all endeavour to become plants immediately,
or, better, bacteria.)

> Actually since the worst toxins concentrate of the lifetime of the
> organism its safest to eat vegan children and most dangerous to eat
> 50+ meat eaters.

OK, this *has* to be a joke, right?

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists