[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 16 19:54:39 UTC 2007

On 16 Jan 2007, Holger Duerer said:

>     >> You can easily kill RFID chips --- and other electronics --- by
>     >> sticking a potentially RFIDded device in the microwave for a
>     >> few seconds (and turning it on, of course!)
>
>     JW> ...although this may adversely affect the credit stored on
>     JW> your Oyster card.
>
> I thought the credit was stored on a central computer (together with
> all your other personal information)?  AFAIK you get the credit
> restored on a new card if it was registered and you report it as
> lost/stolen.

Well, yes, but if you want to leave your card unregistered or you
want to keep it burnt out, you're stuck.

(Not that I can imagine what point there is in burning out an
unregistered Oyster. Any random journalist or tech-savvy criminal can
determine my name and address anyway, as the unnamed one presumably did
who recently spent 900 quid on my credit card on online poker from
Hamburg.)

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'