[Gllug] unstable

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Jan 23 15:22:14 UTC 2007

Juergen Schinker wrote:
> Am Mo, 22.01.2007, 19:56, schrieb budgester at budgester.com:
>> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:44:04PM -0000, Juergen Schinker wrote:
>>> can somebody pass me his settings of sources.list
>>>
>>> i want to update firefox to unstable
>>>
>>> and using Debian 3.1 now
>> You could try looking at this page
>>
>> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
>>
>> Gives you an idea of what you can achieve.
>
> yeah thats what i was looking for but seems a little outdated
>
> i could not increase the APT Cache somehow

Just make the number bigger (Debian just keeps on growing :-)

Having it too large seems to do no harm -- I have mine set to this at present:

  APT::Cache-Limit "100000000";

You'll find that you'll be installing the "iceweasel" package to get the
latest version (since "firefox" has been renamed to avoid trademark issues
with Mozilla -- There is a firefox package still, but it's just a stub that
depends on iceweasel to ease upgrades.  I only mention it because you might
be confused with the switch otherwise)

Don't go to unstable[1] -- testing is soon to be released, and has the same
versions in it anyway at present:

  phil at palm:~$ apt-show-versions -a -p iceweasel
  iceweasel       2.0.0.1+dfsg-2  install ok installed
  iceweasel       2.0.0.1+dfsg-2  testing
  iceweasel       2.0.0.1+dfsg-2  testing
  iceweasel       2.0.0.1+dfsg-2  unstable
  iceweasel/testing uptodate 2.0.0.1+dfsg-2

You should be able to do a partial upgrade, to get that, and then when etch
is released as stable, check the release notes and do a dist-upgrade, after
first setting your sources back to be using stable.

Alternatively, a dist-upgrade to testing should also work, and will make
the eventual upgrade to the released etch quicker -- it's really up to you,
depending on how much time you have now, and whether you're happy to be the
one to discover and report upgrade bugs :-)

=-=-=-
[1] General Debian version hint:
  For an easy life, one should stick with testing rather than unstable (if
  stable's too out of date for you), since packages in testing are almost
  as up to date as those in unstable, but using them is much less likely
  to result in you experiencing breakage due to new buggy uploads (which
  should be caught before the migrate from unstable to testing).

Cheers, Phil.
- --

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk