[Gllug] installing grub on the Mbr

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 00:01:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:19:00AM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:
> I'd probably regard MBR installation as a last resort for machines which
> won't work otherwise, as it's annoying to have to reinstate it after
> other OSen destroy the MBR as part of a normal installation.

Note that some filesystems (well, XFS at least) use the first blocks of
the partition (most - all? - others leave the first bit alone) and as
such, if you install a bootloader to the beginning of a partition
containing an XFS filesystem, you overwrite the superblock.

Do that a few times and you learn not to make a habit of it!