[Gllug] Are computers getting worse?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jan 19 07:09:23 UTC 2007

> I've been trying to use my computer for tasks I'm not used to doing:
> organising a school syllabus, fitting projects into specific chunks of
> time,
> orchestrating sets of constraints, and I just find the right tools for the
> job (suggestions welcome...)

Having tried a few, the best I've come across is Keith's Timetabler
program - http://www.timetabler.com/  Unfortunately it's a Windows
program, but almost everything works under WINE.

In the open-source camp, Tablix is rather interesting, but the last time I
tried it it had some fundamental design errors which prevented it handling
double periods.  It uses genetic algorithms to build a timetable.

On no account go anywhere near Serco products - Facility and Scheduler.
The quality of the design and programming will make you weep.

John