[Gllug]

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 20:08:27 UTC 2007

John Winters wrote:
>> hmmm.. Thanks for that..
>>
>> Amongst other things, I plan to build an Asterisk PBX in a mini-itx
>> box, as well as a MythTV box and central file server.. now all I need
>> to do is get myself an Internet connection...
>
> The downside of using a Mini-ITX motherboard for a MythTV box is that you
> are restricted to one PCI card and so only the one tuner.  You'll very
> quickly find that you want more than one - I'm currently looking at
> increasing my MythTV box from two tuners to three.

I'm currently building a Myth box, and am using an EPIA SP board. There
doesn't seem to be a problem getting 2 cards on the riser with that
board. Admittedly I can't go to three, but two isn't a problem. By using
the EPIA I get a box with hardware MPEG acceleration, and no moving
parts at all other than the hard drive (which is mounted in a damped
heat-sink assembly).

Mike