[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Wed Jan 31 23:14:09 UTC 2007

On 31 Jan 2007, at 22:34, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> "what can i do better with linux (on the Desktop)in my working life/
> day"

> P.S. i work as a sysadmin (don't ask)

1) nmap for checking network problems, seeing what's connected to the
network and what ports are open etc.
2) Faster and better scripting allowing you to fix problems faster
3) Time saved not dealing with security updates/crashes etc on your
own machine
4) You're more used to it so can perform your normal tasks faster
5) A cronjob to shutdown your PC at X-O'clock each night in case you
forget to save energy

If the servers you admin are linux, there are loads of options:

6) Writing and testing scripts on your local machine before running
on servers (although I presume you have testing boxes..)
7) ssh -X to easily use remote X windows apps on your local machine

and many more - depends on your job I suppose.

Everything mentioned above can be done on Windows, but it could
easily be argued that it's easier on linux.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Paul

--