[Gllug] Re: Is it possible to get an Oyster card ...

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 18:46:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 07:25:53PM +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:

The attributation got lost, but Martin wrote:
> > The "privacy-sucking requirements" are so that a) if you lose the card
> > it can be returned to you or b) if the card gets stolen, you can prove
> > who you are so they'll revoke the old card and issue you a new one with
> > your season ticket/balance intact
>
> Oh really ?
>
> http://www.spy.org.uk/spyblog/2003/09/information_commisioner_worrie.html

The link to the data doesn't work anymore but (what I assume is) the
same info can be retrieved by going to
http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp and
putting in "transport for london" in the "name" field.

> Quote:
>
> If you take a look at Transport for London's Data Protection Register
> entry, you may wonder why exactly do they need to store such a large
> amount of your Personal Data like:
>
>     * Personal Details
>     * Family, Lifestyle and Social Circumstances
>     * Education and Training Details
>     * Racial or Ethnic Origin
>     * Political Opinions
>     * Religious or Other Beliefs Of A Similar Nature
>     * Trade Union Membership
>     * Physical or Mental Health or Condition
>     * Sexual Life

You will also note that pretty much all these categories are listed
for every purpose, from staff admin to property management.  Does it
not seem more likely that they just asked for every category there
is to reduce the risk and workload of having to categorise all info?

I'm also pretty confident that if you put in any other large company
then it would also be registered for similar categories.

Amnesty International:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/DoSearch.asp?reg=3264014

From here you can clearly see that in Purpose 6, Amnesty
International is registered to store info on the sexual life of its
complainants, as well as their ethnic origin, and political
opinions.  They can share this with the "Customers and clients of
the data controller for goods and services" "worldwide".

Application of Occam's Razor, please?

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB