[Gllug] installing grub on the Mbr

Alex Smith asmith at asmhosting.com
Sat Jan 13 18:00:42 UTC 2007

>When I decided to leave the Abit NF7 mobo for a while, I got an Asrock
775Dual-VSTA and an Intel 3.2 Gig processor.

This may or may not be helpful - I have one of these mobo's and have had a
nightmare with anything that is SATA based - from not seeing the HDD's (pre
2.6.18) to random lockups (post 2.6.18). It came down to the VIA SATA that
is on board not being fully supported yet.

As to the grub error, if you're using the SATA - (which ironically windows
works fine with without drivers!) - then I can't help there, I have *never*
managed to get it to boot from the SATA drive's with grub on the MBR of
them... Have always had to do it via a IDE drive.

On a side note, even if installed on a IDE drive, I found that the SATA
chipset still caused the machine to lockup and require a hard reboot...
(Gentoo 2.6.18/gentoo sources, Ubuntu 6.10, OpenSuSE 10.2, Fedora Core 6 and
CentOS 4.4 all did this, if they detected the SATA correctly or not).

As said, I don't know if that will be helpful to you; but I hope that it at
least point's out one of the quirks of this board :)

Alex