[Gllug] Linux bootable usb drive

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 07:05:02 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 Jan 2007 18:35, Mark Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Jan 2007 19:03, Diana Scott wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How do you install a bootable Linux onto an usb memory stick?
> >
> > Please advise.
>

> 3) Run DSL from CD & type this at a (root I would imagine) prompt:
>
> 	rxvt -rv -T "DSL USB Pendrive Installation" -e /usr/sbin/dsl-usbinstall
>
> NOTE: I found this & haven't tried it yet! But I shall, soon...

I have now, as promised, tried this - I hadn't realised the later versions of
DSL actually have it as a menu option as well, which makes it remarkably
easy! It's very good, and backs up additions to the remainder of the USB
stick.

Anyone know why Dell have only boot from USB-floppy or USB-zip as boot
options, but not USB-hdd? I would have thought, especially now USB-hdd's are
easily found, that this would be worthwhile? All my non-Dell PC's seem to
have a generic USB-device option instead.

It can't be security - I could get a good few tools on a 1/2 Gb drive ;)

Mark